Hearty, healthy and low cal -- like bruschetta in a bowl..YUM!
Approximately 8 servings
- 4 lbs Plum tomatos (approx. 20) cut in quarters
- 2 large onions cut in quarters and separated
- 3-4 cloves garlic left whole or cut in large peices
- 4-5 Tbsp dried basil or fresh (cut leaves)
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼-1/3 cup light coconut milk (optional)
- 1 32 oz box/can chicken or vegetable stock
- 4-6 cups of fresh spinach chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix together sliced tomatoes and onions in quarters (large pieces) and garlic – leave whole or cut into large pieces
- Sprinkle basil, salt, pepper and olive oil and mix together.
- Pour into one large roasting pan or 2 - 9x13 baking pans and bake for 45 minutes.
- Place in soup pot and blend with an emulsifier until all pieces are pureed. (You can use a blender and do in batches too)
- Add coconut milk and part or all of the chicken/veggie stock to reach desired consistency.
- When heated, add spinach and stir until wilted.
- Serve immediately topped with grated Parmesan cheese.